Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 512 - Another Praise the Lord kind of day!

Today was just plain awesome, wonderful, spectacular, exciting, glorious... I am so grateful to let you know that we were allowed and able to put Ava to room air today. She can breathe without the need of oxygen. We went to Lung Center and to my delight they decided to try her on .25% and then straight to room air! The pulsox seemed to be acting up a bit, and she did start gagging for some reason, but overall she did really well after I changed the pulsox on her foot. She didn't head bob or belly breath but completely looked comfortable. We did it again when we got home and she did pretty well. We are allowed to let her breath room air up to 4 hours a day. I am supposed to call on Friday and let them know how's she is doing. If she does great they may decide to keep her off all the time or at least during the day and then later at night! Praise the Lord! We also only have to put her at .25% if she is on any additional oxygen.

We also are using her inhalers (puffers) now only 2 times a day instead of the 4 times. In two weeks we can eliminate her Atrovent totally if we have no troubles! Such great news! The doctor even said something he has never said before - I told him that Ava's therapies want to know when she can be off the vent and I always tell them we don't know. He said I can tell them when she won't - And I said "Yeah, next year"; because that is what he said at the last visit - BUT this time he said "not THIS year!" Everyone was so excited to see how good Ava was doing and I asked our special RT if she thought Ava would be this good, and she said that she expected her to be good since VNA had let her know, but not THIS good. Oh how awesome! Ava's nurse and I felt like we were floating on air coming out of there.

Thanking God for Ava's progress and praying for Ava to be without a need for extra oxygen...

1 comment: