Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 131 - Trach Day


I am so sorry for the delayed blog. Alexandra and I actually left to go to Rochester for a homeschooling convention after I left the hospital. It was great to be able to spend time with her.

Ava had her trach put in around noon today. It went well, but she is hard to keep sedated and they have wanted her to be "paralyzed" so she can move the trach out. Unfortunately, the drugs run through her and are out in about 40 minutes. They think it's because she has been given so much sedatives in the past. Her CO2 blood gas is 56.

The nurse at night told me that Ava would move her head in whatever location the nurse moved to. So, I'm thinking she can probably hear her and see her. Now, she has the ability to easily move her head.

She also has less secretions out of her mouth and she has the ability to suck her pacifier. They said that was the only way they could calm her down.

They will change her trach in about 5 days. Right now, the have stiches in to hold the trach in place. If the trach was to ever come out the wound would close immediately.

For the first time ever, we have the ability to see her beautiful face. I cried when I saw it. She is pretty puffy, but I am so in love... I can't wait to bring her home.

Praying for a speedy recovery and the ability for Ava to nurse...

No comments:

Post a Comment