Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 142

Ava's gas was 58 this morning. She is on 90% O2. They were able to get her down to 60% for a few minutes after going back on the normal vent. Her gas was 71 this evening and 100% O2. She has IV lines on every body part except her right arm and face. She even has a line in her groin. They found that she had a staff infection and something else, but they don't think that is what caused her to get so sick. I don't really know if she can even come home anytime soon.

So, now it's my turn to vent. Today I realized, that I have friends in my life that expect me to cater to their time schedule (who virtually have no major problems in their life), and my support system, day in a day out, are the people who birthed me. I think it's sad that people are so wrapped up in their own lives, and this world, to not help somebody in need. I vented to a dear friend of mine who also has been through a horrible, devastating family situation. She told me that people were there to help or care in the beginning, but after awhile it dwindled and it has resulted in TWO people taking the time out of their every day lives to talk to her and show they care. I am proud to say that I am one of those two. I have even helped her during my situation with Ava. She also told me the sweetest thing, that she prays to God to show her how she can help me since she lives a few states away. That doesn't mean that we are there for each other every day, but every week we show each other how much we care. She sends me very sweet uplifting letters. But tonight, after I pushed back my tears at my daughters bedside, I came home after tucking my children into bed and my husband was STILL not home from his work trip, I wept in the shower. I wept for my daughter that is lying in a hospital bed almost 5 months old and doesn't know what it's like to be held like a normal baby and will never be a "normal" baby, I wept for her not being able to enjoy being fed, I wept for a world that is mostly concerned about themselves and for people that need other people to help or care. We have a missions field right here in our every day lives, and people still can't take time to look outside of themselves and pick up the phone to see if someone needs something, whether it's a meal, a hug or to talk. We have groups to help each other, one of them I even belong to, but I have not had a phone call in at least a month. My husband has been away since early Sunday morning, and I have had to deal with Ava's sickness myself along with the numerous other times, she got sick when he was away. This is not a whine session, this is my reality. I'm alone and dealing with seeing my baby have a needle in almost every part of her body. I don't have time to think of things for people to do for me, or to tell them to call me and quite frankly I am afraid to ask, because I feel I would inconvenience them. I would hope that there would have been a community to help people out when they are in need. I can't even believe that I need help or would have ever needed it. You don't even know who to turn to. But tonight, what I realize is, that I can only control myself, and I will continue to think of others and help them out, even if I am in this horrible situation.

Praying for Ava to heal and feel peace...

6 comments:

  1. My dear Ann, I don't know you, I know only of you though your mother-in-law. I am here thinking of you and your Ava everyday. I know it is not much but I am out here. It is hard to know what to do for you, you have to ask. I am also a trach person and on a vent at night. I am doing very well, and have had a great life. I have high hopes for Ava. She is a fighter, and if she only needs love to come home--she will be coming home. I am glad to read your blog everyday, I feel I know Ava, and someday I hope to meet this beautiful little girl.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann,..I reach for your blog every morning and feel a bond with you and Ava in the spirit. The pain your going through really bites...I think people arent' reaching out as much anymore because they feel helpless. I'm glad you wrote what you did,..it shows strength,..it shows you fully embrace the fact that your only human, and you need people in your life to surround you. I don't understand what God is doing, but we still cling to Him and His mercy. God show your mercy, show your love, and show us your miracle power at work.....still praying...love meagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you need? I'm sorry that I haven't offered sooner...I just assumed you had a support group. I weep for you and for your little ones. Your appeal for help comes at the perfect time (as God intended it to). My job driving school bus comes to an end next Thursday. I have the summer to give. I know we've only briefly been acquainted through homeschooling but I'm here if and when you need me. 716-655-3385 or cell # 816-9522. God Bless, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, I'm glad you shared your thoughts and feelings. It is hard to always even know what to ask for in situations like this. I hope some people like the group you mentioned and your church will step forward and take responsibility for orchestrating help like bringing meals and cleaning for you and running errands. That would take the burden off you in so many areas. Sometimes just finding the help is a problem! A few people posting on this blog a contact number to be a coordinator I'm sure would get lots of volunteers and could take that burden off your shoulders and be a real blessing. I know the power of a phone call as well. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My offer still stands that if I am home (Which I am most weekends And after next week, I will be more often during the week as well) if you ever want to drop your older girls off to me. I am not too far from the hospital! If I can, I will even meet you there. I do have room for 2 more car seats in my van! PLEASE let me help you with this!!

    call me, or post to me on facebook if you need to!

    FOr now, I will continue to lift you all up in prayer!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann, I am truly sorry for all you have had to go through. I pray everyday for precious Ava. You have proven the power of prayer to me and always inspire me with you're strength as a mom, but you are also human and need to vent as you have. Please let me know if you need anything. I'm not too far from the hospital and can watch the girls anytime. My mom even offered to come help. I'm sorry I haven't called, but please don't mistake that for me not caring. Love Always, Jackey

    ReplyDelete