Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 408

Ava slept until about 5:30 am today. They got her cleaned up and dressed and changed her trach to the 5.0 uncuffed. I guess she looked a little greyish (or modely like clay as they call it) and spit up a phelgm ball a little bit later. But she has been fine with the trach the rest of the day. She did have a desat to 77 today, but the day nurse isn't a nurse that has had Ava before so I am not sure what really happened. Ava was fine the rest of the day. I packed Ava up in her stroller today and pushed her around with the respiratory therapist from Lung Center. I did it much faster than I have in the past. I am definitely getting used to all the equipment: the suction machine, the vent, the bag, the pulsox, the car seat, the O2 tank, the diaper bag, the battery for the vent, her feeding equipment and of course Ava. I am not quite sure I will make it out of the house in 30 minutes time...

The young boy that was in the next bedside to Ava, died today. I don't know their situation, but we were there and it was very sad but very quick. We don't know what happened and I wish I could have consoled the boy's mother and father. You really don't know what to say. She looked at me, (we have never talked before) and I looked at her, looked away and looked at her again. I don't know if I should have said I was sorry or what. Although I have not lost my own child, I certainly know what it's like thinking you are going to or be at the brink of losing them. Please pray for this family, hopefully they have lots of love and support and know that their son has gone to a place where there is no pain and no fear.

Thanking God for letting us keep Ava, and praying for Ava to beat the need for a vent...

3 comments:

  1. Ann, you and your family have been through a lot. We will pray for the family and yours. Your faith is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God lift the family...and mend the broken heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 25 years ago, it happened to my sister. All you can do is pray that God has this family in the palm of his hands.....- Nancy R.

    ReplyDelete