Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 24 - Why do I have to deal with this? Seriously!

So, today started out as a good day. Ava didn't have our typical nurse, we had a new one that I hadn't met yet (I really wonder how many nurses there are). She told me that she was stable. I went in to see her tonight and she was on her back for the past 3 hours. She saturating (O2) at 90% or more. So, another nurse turned down her O2 setting. Her nurse really didn't want me to massage her with lotion because the probs couldn't stick on her. So I was only able to rub lotion on her knees, one leg, and one arm. At first Ava was saturating (O2) at 60 or so % and then it did go up to 80 or 90% when I was doing that for her which surprised the nurse because she kept saying how sensitive Ava's skin was. There was another nurse in the room who kept turning down or up her O2 setting which is called "chasing" her by our favorite nurse. She told me that just because she is a bit higher or lower you don't want to change her O2 setting because that is not good for her. I have pretty much learned a lot from this nurse or the other nurse in the 3+ weeks to know what is going on. Not that I could do their job, but that I know Ava and I understand what's going on. By that nurse "chasing" her it made a trigger go off in my head to watch this and to be a bit nervous. I was gone for a bit to pump and they took her gas during that time. I came back and the gas (CO2) was in the 60s, which they like to be in the 50s. So they again changed the settings up. I started to get concerned when her saturation was going down into the 40s and I said that she probably wanted to be on her stomach. I said that repeatedly. The one nurse kept moving Ava around rather sharply or jerky-like motions which made me upset and nervous. I had never seen anyone handle her that way before. Finally after being in the low 40s and 50s, that nurse says we should switch her to her back after they had suctioned her. Her nurse, knowing that her shift was almost over, looked up at the clock as if she didn't want to do it because she was almost done. The other nurse says she would do it, and then she rapidly moves Ava to her back (I asked if I should leave) in a jerky motion again, and I gasp. The one nurse asks me if I have seen her being moved. I said yes, and that I have helped before. I have never seen Ava being moved that carelessly. Then her saturation started to get better. The nurse kept telling myself and the other nurse to not watch the stats because a "watches pot never boils..." Her nurse comments that that Ava "has a reputation", whatever that means. I respond with "then she must uphold it." That comment really bothers me. Finally I leave after her stats get better. I was and am still quite shaken up by this. More than even last Thursday, when we thought we might lose her. I would never want to lose her because of a nurses judgement.

I was able to speak with the Doctor tonight. He told me that she is going to have her brain x-ray next week on the 22nd which is Monday. Thankfully, we don't have to worry anymore that there is blood on the brain (one thing down.) This brain x-ray will tell us if she has any disabilities - like cerebral palsy or any other major disability by seeing holes in the brain. Some disabilities may not be seen up to 2 years of age, but anything major from birth can be seen a month later. We REALLY need prayers that she will be perfect in every way and a testimony to God that her brain is perfect and an example of why not to end a pregnancy. The doctor also told me that if she doesn't get significantly better by a month to a month and a half that they will have to give her steroids. Steroids can injure brain growth and they don't like to give them until they are a month old. Thankfully she got better in the last week so she hasn't needed them. Praise God!

I spoke to the night nurse tonight and at first she wasn't too sympathetic to what happened earlier that evening with Ava. She acted as if I was overly dramatic, which I haven't been. Believe it or not nurses, I actually can understand what's going on. I am not pretending to do their job, but I understand the situation...

Oh what a night... And I wonder if I am the only one going through this???

No comments:

Post a Comment