Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 439 - 4th Day Home

How do I start off describing today? I was so exhausted yesterday that I couldn't even write it. So I am now recapping it one day later. Ava had cramping pains all night and was being bagged multiple times. Her tummy was being vented this whole time and gas wasn't even escaping most of the time. I woke up to a phone call from surgery and she said that Ava's "J" might have become detached and possibly could have become detached and coiled up in her stomach, blocking her intestine. I got radiology's phone number and found out that we could come in that day without any appointment because they were not busy. I called our pediatrician got a referral (after it was sent to the wrong fax number) and we headed into Buffalo with our nurse. We had a pretty good ride and we only had to bag her once. At that time I noticed the bagging wasn't calming Ava, so I told her nurse to slow it down a bit to be like her breathing. We got her x-ray and it looked fine and it didn't look like she had a lot of gas either. When I put her on the table for the x-ray Ava looked at me with her big eyes and watched me walk out of the room. I knew then that she has gotten eyes only for mama. What I love about having a baby!

We waited a bit until the Pediatricians came back from lunch and I told them they had to see what we were dealing with and all the pain Ava was in. I still really feel like it was her food causing such pain. She had gas pains in the hospital too. We went to the pediatrician after Ava had a couple of fits and she was so happy there. Then the action happened and the doctors got to see it first hand. The doctor said that the nurses were bagging her too fast and hard and it was blowing air into her tummy. We went back to using the same feed and was trying to calm her without having to bag. The doctor did speak with feeding clinic who had no problem giving her regular Pediasure without the 30 cal which is hard to digest with the extra fiber. He wanted to wait until we had a handle on the current problem. We got her through the night with only bagging her two times. She did seem better though when she was getting the Pedialyte or breast milk. We just need to get her to baseline and possibly change the feed and/or GJ. Hopefully her gas pains will end AND she can stop spitting up. She didn't do it as much until she got the Peptomen Junior.

Thanking God for the wisdom of the doctors and praying for discernment on her gas pains and for the pains to end...

No comments:

Post a Comment