Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 55 - 32 weeks

Ava was on an amplitude of 15 today. Because her blood gas was 49 this evening they went down to 13. Her gas this morning was in the upper 50s. She did need more blood so they are giving her more blood this evening. Since their is an IV they can give her insulin through that so that won't hurt her as much. She is on 38-40% O2 and satting most of the time in the 90s.

Her nurse tonight that is going to be a nurse practitioner, said that once she is almost done with the steroids, we'll see how she's doing and if she can stay on the ventilator or cpap then we'll know if she's doing well. I'm praying for that, I hope you will too (whomever is reading this).

Today, Tony went up to see Ava while I stayed in the car with the girls. He went up and Ava was doing ok, but then she refluxed her food, and she started desatting. When he came in she was at 38% O2 and when she started desatting the nurse raised the O2. Tony thinks that instead of raising the O2, that she lowered it to 23% and she started satting in the 20s. The nurse was holding her and then she walked around her incubator and raised the O2 back up in the 50s. He was really upset when he came out to the car. I wasn't sure if he understood all the settings and he sent me upstairs. I went up and the nurse knew that Tony was upset because of the look in his eyes. But I'm not sure if she was covering it up or now. She told me that the probe attached to her foot came loose and that is what happened. Either way, I wasn't there. I would have said something if I saw that her O2 setting was in the 20s. So now we are concerned about nurses error, she hadn't had Ava before and I found out she was nervous about having her since she hadn't yet. She is a very nice person, but accidents happen, and maybe she's trying to cover it up? Who knows... More worries though.

Praying for Ava to be comfortable and for the staff...

No comments:

Post a Comment