Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 74 - Another hard day

Ava's blood gas was 73 this morning, but they kept her on the CPAP. They decided to do aggressive treatment on her today so that she can be kept on the CPAP. She is on a CPAP that has a bit of pressure on her lungs like the vent. Instead of 40 breaths per minute she is on 15 breaths per minute. They are now giving her a larger dose of albuterol and pulmicort for her lungs every 3 hours. Before it was every 6 hours. They also changed her hat to better fit her. Ava also is not getting the 27 calorie additive to my milk but rather 24 calorie.

Ava's wonderful day nurse and our social worker set up a web cam so we can see Ava on Skype. The girls and my parents got to see Ava. Ariana was quite emotional and pretty upset about seeing Ava. She got over it and sang "ABC's" to her and "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star". It was wonderful to see her since I haven't seen her since Tuesday. I am hoping tomorrow to get in there, but I still can't hear out of my right ear.

Tonight Ava had her eye exam at 8pm. The doctor called me back and told me that her eyes had gotten worse. For the doctor to call me, I knew it wasn't good. She is on Zone 2, Stage 2 of the retinopathy. She has made it to 50% of Zone 2, and 80% of preemies do get rid of these abnormal cells in the eye. If she gets to Stage 3, they will have to give her laser surgery and she will lose her peripheral vision. They will be coming in every week to check on her to see if she is on Stage 3. The neonatalogists told me that if the eye doctors ever come in every week, that it's not good. All I can say (which it's hard to say), that at least she's still here and she's not blind. I don't want anything to happen to her and it really bothers me that her vision may not be perfect. She will probably have to wear glasses. I wish things could get easier and I'm hoping that we don't keep finding out worse things. I have been hoping all this time that God will make these problems go away and make Ava perfect in his image.

Ava now weighs 4 lbs 3oz. tonight. =) She is on 60% O2 and is satting in the high 80s and low 90s.

Please pray for Ava and that her blood gas is low in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. Praying Ann and Tony! Cannot imagine what this time is like and what a roller coaster for everyone including the girls. May His grace continue to surround and strengthen you. We are praying and we have friends here praying! Love ya and lots of hugs!!

    ReplyDelete