Monday, April 12, 2010

Day 78 - Back to the Vent again!


Ava's CO2 blood gas was in the 80s this morning. They checked her "arterially" and it was 77, so they decided to put her back on the vent. They didn't want to give her steroids because she will need them if she needs eye surgery. She did fine being put on the vent, but they had to put her on 60 breaths per minute. She is at 60% O2 still.

The eye doctor came in today because she is taking a vaca later this week. She expected to do surgery on Ava, but was pleasantly surprised that Ava's eyes were the same. I wonder though, if they were the same as three weeks ago, when a different doctor looked at her. The doctor will check her next Monday. She did tell me that 80% of preemie's eyes get better. The neonatalogist said they only have to do surgery on approximately 2 babies a year. I hope we are not one of those statistics.

The neonatalogist was saying that Ava is still fragile, but I thought it was really good that she was off for a week especially since they expected her to be back on the vent sooner. I'm confused, and I think I should never bother talking to a doc.

Ava weighs 4 lbs. 3oz. today! She is on 38ml of food.

I still can't hear out of my ear, but my cough is gone. I am very glad that her eyes are the same and I have hope that it will be better next week. If her eyes are better, and her lungs are better than she can possibly be off the vent again. Even if her lungs are better, they probably won't take her off the vent until they see how her eyes are.

Praying for some recovery and healing...

No comments:

Post a Comment